Multiple Platforms

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Reading some of the other discussions it's been stated that you're not targeting multiple platforms with this guidance.

If we're talking Kona as guidance for LOB then by not thinking portable code then you are limiting businesses that would have looked at Kona as guidance. As a business we want re-use, Prism was perfect in that regard as we could pick and choose pieces for each platform where they made sense.

Microsoft itself are hiring devs to look at merging the WP & WinRT stories so we no longer need to hack our xaml to pieces going between platforms. This makes sense as the snapped view can be designed with WP in mind. Panorama\Pivot in snapped view works very well with the ports we have of these controls for WinRT.

As a consultancy focusing purely on LOB apps for Win8 we'll have to stick with our WinRT port of Prism going forward because of this.

Thanks for taking the time to read my 2p's worth.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Sledge70,

I agree that WinRT and Windows Phone together are an important scenario. We considered addressing both WP & WinRT for this version but needed to make a scoping decision for the first release. We consider this project a journey just like Prism. The first version of Prism supported WPF and then the 2nd release supported Silverlight. We are currently going through our planning for the rest of the calendar year and early next year. As the plan solidifies, I will post it on my blog --> http://blogs.msdn.com/blaine.

blaine
Feb 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Thanks for the response on this.

I understand it's a new guidance and we can't have it all at once. With that in mind I'll go through it a bit more in-depth.

Currently it looks overly complicated to do things like send an event on a background thread. That can be easily hidden in the plumbing so to speak, again as this is the first cut things like this can be addressed as time goes on.

For reference the Okra framework is a good starting point for Win8 apps and has kept things relatively simple. Also shows how to use it with and without MEF (Not a great fan of MEF as found Dev's struggle to pick it up quickly and to debug).
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM
This too shows the awesomeness of the Pattern and Practice team; while many of the other teams at Microsoft works in perfect secrecy expecting the world just trust what they are building and will launch with huge marketing campaigns; the P&P teams gives us a very realistic view and road map, (just in one sentence , like here) , so we , as LOB Developers, can create the backlog to then plan the sprint. and also talk Road map with our LOB customers.

Prism rules WPF, and Kona will rule Windows 8.

thanks, and keep it coming, we are all over Kona
Feb 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
There are some really cool features to WinRT. Native code support and DirectX integration are really huge in my view. But the gap needs to be closed to make WinRT a real boy in terms of LOB types of applications.

Please have a read over this. It covers most of the issues:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/hu/winappswithcsharp/thread/380b4b7b-72e2-4435-b7f7-0d2afca4eac0

Basics like no support for non-rectangular clipping through XAML result in surprising limitations. Plugging a few of these holes would go a long way.