Building upon TemporaryFolderCacheService

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for something similar to TemporaryFolderCacheService for my app and I was wondering if someone forked the project or built something similar but more "production" ready.

After looking into Akavache, I think it's a serious candidate but I wanted to check here if someone had a lighter alternative.

Question for the team: do you think the cache service could be into your scope for future release?

Cheers,

Julien
Nov 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Julien,

What is the scenario you want to a cache service for?

We do have on the roadmap a plan to provide guidance on occasionally connected windows store apps. We will need to have data on the local device to run when the app does not have a connection to backend services.

Blaine
Nov 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Actually, my scenario is very similar to the adventure works sample code (we are developing an ecommerce app). The purpose of the cache service would be to reduce the number of calls to the server but not necessarily to enable the use of the app in "offline".
We need to be able to set an expiration date on cached entries and most of the cached objects are JSON serialized. Besides the expiration of cached entries, we need to let the user invalidate manually the cache ("refresh" function).

I am still collecting requirements for our app, but I think we have a fairly common scenario.

Julien
Nov 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Hello Julien,

Thanks for the feedback. We (p&p) don't have a production ready caching service or caching app block for Windows Store Apps yet. We have considered it but we'll consider it more in upcoming releases.

-Francis
Marked as answer by elliatab on 11/28/2013 at 3:02 PM