Prism roadmap

Apr 9 at 3:22 AM
Hello,

last release was in December 2013 and there were no more releases since then.
Which is the roadmap for Prism framework?

Will be there a version with support for Universal apps and Windows Phone 8.1?
Apr 9 at 5:51 AM
OasisLiveForever wrote:
Hello,

last release was in December 2013 and there were no more releases since then.
Which is the roadmap for Prism framework?

Will be there a version with support for Universal apps and Windows Phone 8.1?
Hello,

Furthermore there is a reference of "Cross Platform development with windows store and Windows Phone" in the roadmap, will that guidance support Universal Apps.
We are developing Enterprise apps using prism for windows runtime, guidance on reusing our code in universal apps would be greatly appreciated especially at this time.
Apr 12 at 5:20 PM
You can add the Prism.StoreApps package to the Windows version of your app. I was told work on the Windows Phone 8.1 (winrt/universal) version would start this month. There is also a Nuget package called PrismAdapter which appears to work on both, but its documentation makes how quite unclear what the purpose or capabilities of the release are.
Coordinator
Apr 17 at 4:07 PM
Cbordeman,

We will start an update for Prism.StoreApps that will work with Windows Phone 8.1. Right now we are going through some spike's to understand what work we will need to change for Windows Phone 8.1. After we finish our spike's, we will start the project.

Blaine Wastell
http://blogs.msdn.com/blaine
Apr 18 at 9:09 PM
Hi Blaine,

nice to hear that you are still thinking about the best way of implementing the new features of the next step.
In the moment there are often huge changes.
Win 8.0 -> Win 8.1 (October 2013) -> Now switch to universal apps including Windows Phone.
Even in PRSIM 4.2 you are switching now to PCLs.

Will you also merge some functionalities of PRISM 4.2 and PRISM for WinRT by migrating them into PCLs?
And - it's only an idea - do you think there is a posibility to support also PCLs including Xamarin?
I'll do some tests in the next time.

As I wrote in the last months I'm developing a MDSD tool for creating Windows store apps. There are still tools like Siena or Windows Phone Studio releases, but my tool is based on PRISM.
I'm working as a NET consultant so I'm work only in my free time on that project. But at least I've still developed more than 5 full months on it.
I've uploaded an export of a simple solution (http://www.devknife.com/dl/SimpleData_Simple.zip).
In man app you can set different types of models (simple list; grouped list, nested list) and different types of repositories (simple json files, sqlite db (new PCL lib), web service like your reference implemenation, azure)
You can also add jump lists with different types of actions.

At least I'm going the way of composite UI like like ASP.NET MVC.
Have a look in my sample solutions (Modules).

I've also to switch to universal apps now.
I'm dreaming of the possibility to export PRISM VS solutions for WinRT, Win Phone and Xamarin with my DefKnife tool.
But at least I don't know if I'll ever finish it ;-)

Regards
Dirk
May 21 at 10:15 PM
Any update on support for universal apps Windows 8.1/Windows Phone 8.1?
May 21 at 10:21 PM
dsoltesz wrote:
Any update on support for universal apps Windows 8.1/Windows Phone 8.1?
Ditto.
Coordinator
May 28 at 4:51 PM
We just published our first drop under "Converged" in the source code tab.

blaine
Jun 6 at 7:49 AM
Is the "Converged" for universal apps W8.1 and WP8.1? And when will it be available via NuGet?
Jun 6 at 6:13 PM
kawing_takeaway wrote:
Is the "Converged" for universal apps W8.1 and WP8.1? And when will it be available via NuGet?
Yes. It took 8 weeks to the the Converged drop so I personally wouldn't expect a Nuget release for at least another month. But I'm not part of that team.
Jun 8 at 8:58 AM
It doesn't seem "Converged" drop is compatible with universal apps.
If you look at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.StoreApps project, it's only compatible with Windows 8.1.

If you target also Windows Phone 8.1, the project become portable but has errors in compilation since it's using classes compatible on with Windows 8.1 (SettingsPane, SettingsCommand etc).
Also System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations is not available in Windows Phone 8.1.
Jun 9 at 11:47 AM
If this doesn't work with WP8.1, then what is this "Converged" branch for?
Jun 10 at 3:49 AM
This is the first drop and was only updated to use Prism.Mvvm, as reported in commit comment.
Coordinator
Jul 2 at 9:30 PM
We have a new drop available on CodePlex.
Jul 6 at 2:40 PM
Edited Jul 6 at 2:42 PM
I would love a Preview or Beta version of Prism for Windows Universal as soon as possible (no drop) so that I can use them for my store submissions. I love developing apps for the Windows plattform and as soon as Prism for Windows Universal sdk is released I will start developing two new apps which I have already been planning for quite a while.

In my perspective I think that Prism is the best way for supporting developers in building many high quality apps as fast as possible.
Prism is important to us, but so are universal apps!
Jul 6 at 2:43 PM
In the July drop it seems there is no support for validation.
Do you plan to add it for the final release?
Jul 8 at 2:10 AM
Edited Jul 8 at 8:31 PM
I actually posted a question on this about a week or so ago. The validation support that ships with the AdventureWorks Shopper is all done on the web service side. The problem with Prism for WinRT and Universal Apps is that Universal Apps themselves don't support the Data Annotation namespace. To work around this, I wrote a custom way to do Validation in the models, allow individual properties to have more than one validation error, allow the view to bind to all of the errors associated with a property and expose a way for the View Model to force re-validation if needed.

Johnathon.
Jul 8 at 2:15 AM
Scion, or what ever your first name is (please sign so we can have a normal conversation) I am following the conversation and am glad that you have created a work around for the omission. I look forward to using your solution to the problem when I get to that in my current project.

There aren't too many of us who are using this great framework, but those that are benefit the most.

Keep up the great work to you and the team.

Terrence.
Jul 8 at 11:22 AM
I installed 1.1.0 from Nuget, but I cannot use ViewModel class. I get this error
'Microsoft.Practices.Prism.ViewModel' is a 'namepsace' but is used like a 'type'.
Jul 8 at 4:42 PM
Edited Jul 8 at 4:45 PM
I hope you find the work-around useful.

@kawing - please provide the your source in order to trouble shoot. It sounds like there is some ambiguity going on in your code.

-Johnathon
Jul 8 at 8:18 PM

Scion, I meant to say "sign your posts" so we can know what your name is so we can address you properly when posting comments. I am just guessing it is Scion.

Thanks.

Jul 9 at 6:53 AM
@Scionwest - What I simply did:
  1. was creating a new project (Class Library (Portable for Universal Apps)
  2. search for prism, on the last page you'll find the new Prism.Mvvm 1.1.0 published on 3-7-2014.
  3. A new class which I try to inherit ViewModel. VS2013 Express gives me a hint to use "Microsoft.Practices.Prism.ViewModel". I click that and it shows me error "Microsoft.Practices.Prism.ViewModel' is a 'namepsace' but is used like a 'type".
BindableBase and DelegateCommand works, but I also need ViewModel.
Coordinator
Jul 12 at 12:33 AM
Validation is performed on the server because DataAnnotations do not exist on the phone. Hopefully it is added to the phone and then the issue can be revisited.

Blaine
Jul 12 at 1:07 AM
Edited Jul 12 at 1:08 AM
Thanks Blaine, I finally figured that out by walking through the WebAPI project. I'm not sold on the fact that all validation must be done through data annotations, so I'll probably continue to use my implementation when data annotations are supported. Since attributes are essentially static, I find them to restrictive when used in a polymorphic setting.

Johnathon.
Jul 17 at 12:19 PM
Prism.Mvvm 1.1.0 doesn't have a ViewModel class, but only a package.
Coordinator
Aug 22 at 12:03 AM
We just published updated NuGet packages that support converged Windows Store 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 apps. The MVVM support is now in Prism.Mvvm NuGet package. The AdventureWorks Shopper reference implement now runs on the phone. The source code can be found on this CodePlex site under the Source Code tab.
Aug 22 at 1:34 PM

Blaine, thanks for the update. You guys are doing great work.

-----------------------------------------------

Terrence Spencer

Director of Information Technologies

Municipal Advisory Council of Texas

Austin, Texas

Sep 29 at 2:10 PM
I am looking forward to see the documentation updated for universal apps.
I am waiting prism for universal apps to be finished to develop some applications I have in mind.

Thanks, your are doing a great job!