Application Settings Navigation

May 10, 2013 at 2:47 AM
UI Guidelines state settings flyout should not navigate, but the Add... entry points navigate.

Is this generally acceptable? If so, when is the appropriate time to do so?

Thanks
May 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Shaggygi97,

Which flyout are you referring to? Do you mean Add shipping, billing, and payment information? If so those are pages.

blaine
May 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM
The UI guideline shows the following for the Settings pane...

Inappropriate use of settings
•Don't add commands that are part of the common app workflow. These commands should be placed in the app bar or on the app canvas.
•Don't use an entry point to perform an action directly. Entry points should open a Flyout or the browser.
•Don't use the Settings pane for navigation. When the Settings pane closes, people should be in the same place in the app that they were when they entered settings. The app bar is a more appropriate place for navigation. For more info, see Defining layout, navigation, and commands.
•Don't use the SettingsFlyout class as a general-purpose control. It's intended only for settings Flyouts launched from entry points.

The 3rd bullet is what I was asking about. So in the AW demo, if you click Add ( shipping, billing or payment ) the app will navigate to the respective page. The bullet states the user should be in the same place in the app before and after using the Settings pane.

I can see the need to navigate to something if needed in some cases. However, it seems this example goes against the guidelines. Would it be more appropriate to have the Flyout navigate to a Flyout within the pane that included the address or payment controls instead of navigating the app?

Am I not understanding this correctly? Thanks
May 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM
The guidelines refer to flyout's instead of pages. Initially Add Shipping Address, Billing Address, and Payment Information were in flyouts which does not work well because the user will enter information that can be lost with light dismiss. The setting navigates to a page and pages can have buttons on them.

So the other question you are asking is since Add Shipping Address, Billing Address and Payment are pages should access to these pages be in the app bar instead of settings. Our interpretation is these are setting for the app and when we had our UI review, they did not disagree. We raised the issue about light dismiss being a problem and they suggested moving this information to pages. I will follow-up on your question to understand the preferred navigation for these pages. Given the discussion we had internally I think we are correct but I will double check.

Let me know if I'm understanding your question correctly. Thx.

blaine
May 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Yes, I agree with you. It seems like you should ( in most cases ) be able to navigate deeper within the Settings for the user to enter/select info. However, if you have a larger amount of data to enter and validate... it would be more appropriate to navigate to the needed page.

I'm working on an app that may require the user to enter a number of fields and I was not sure what the best approach to this would be... Settings vs Page. If your team believes this is acceptable to navigate to another page, then I will continue to go that route.

Thanks