Windows 8.1 Features

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Are you able to discuss the roadmap for new Prism features that will work with new Windows 8.1? Examples include new Hub page template, behaviors, new Flyout control, etc.. Any updates will be appreciated.

Thanks
Jun 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Just to highlight and bump this as I am also interested

All the best

Juan
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM
We plan on updating prism for Windows 8.1. I do not yet have a date. I can let you know more in a couple of weeks.

Blaine
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I too am also interested, please let us know with any updates on this topic.

Respectfully,

Ken
Jul 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM
That's good news.

Thanks a lot
Jul 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Yes, that is good news. Thx

looking forward to next roadmap.
Jul 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM
+1, Hoping for a shorter turn around for 8.1 updates. Thanks.
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM
We are close to finishing the patterns & practices roadmap for FY14 (runs July 13 through June 14). We plan to update the Prism library with our first project which we are thinking will focus on Usually Connect scenario. This scenario did not make it into the last release. If you have other things that you also think are important please enter work items in issue tracker.

The current thinking is we will release this calendar year hopefully early to mid Q4. As I know more, I will let you know.

blaine
Jul 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Edited Jul 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the roadmap. I will add my wish list to the issue page.
Aug 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Hi Blaine,
I'm just developing an application with Prism for Windows 8. Maybe it would make sense to develop still only for Windows 8.1.
(It's a kind of Lightswitch for Windows store apps, a model driven tool to develop and export VS Solutions based on MVVM Frameworks like Prism.)

I don't know if there is still a release date for 8.1, but the mid Q4 means November. That means I have to wait 3-4 months to develop apps with Prism for 8.1.
Sure, I don't want to put you under pressure, but it would be great if you also could release beta versions, if the final release will be so late in the year.

Will you publish the roadmap or is it secret?
Will a Prism port to Windows Phone also be part of the roadmap?
If Windows Phone OS will going on moving to WinRT this wouldn't make sense in the moment, but a nice to have.

At least I want to mention that your Pluralsight MVVM/Prism courses are really great.

Dirk
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Your app sounds interesting. We do not yet have a release date for 8.1 as we are still identifying the requirements for the release. We will release drops on CodePlex as we go.

We working on publishing the entire patterns & practices roadmap which will include Prism for Windows Runtime. One of the frequently requested items creating an app that runs on both Windows Store and Windows Phone. This is an area we plan to provide future guidance.

blaine
Aug 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Edited Aug 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Blaine,

will there be any Prism framework for Windows Phone?
There are still nice course for dual target development by Jaime Rodriguez/Laurent Bugnion or Andy Wigley / Code
The most examples are based on MVVM light.

Dirk
Coordinator
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM
We just posted the patterns & practices roadmap on our website. The next project we will work on the updating the RI and Prism for Windows 8.1.
Sep 19, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Looks like the pnp website is broken. Iā€™m getting a 500.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Thanks. I was just looking the other day to see if this was updated. Looking forward to seeing what you release related to Win8.1 and WP 8.1.
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Can you see the pnp website now?
Sep 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yes I can see it now.

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM
We will start pushing drops in the next couple of weeks.
Sep 23, 2013 at 6:05 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2013 at 4:04 AM
Hi,

I would like to have these features in Prism for Windows 8.1:
  • Default and Narrow page states instead of Full, Snapped etc.
  • RemoveBackStackEntry and RemoveForwardStackEntry in navigation service.
  • Logging management.
  • Extended splash screen management.
  • Global exception management (something like this TEXT).
  • Json.Net instead of DataContractSerializer in session state service in order to:
    • Avoid to register known types for serialization
    • Avoid to mark classes and properties with DataContract and DataMember attributes
    • Have better performances
Thank you very much.
Andrea
Sep 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I've ported Prism for Windows Runtime a few weeks ago to 8.1, because I wanted to use it for my new app and don't wanted to wait for Blaine ;-)
I don't know if anybody is interested, but I've done a fork of Prism and have just uploaded it to codeplex. Please tell me if anything is wrong (missing files or so)
What have I done?
  • Changed solution to 8.1
  • Replaced ApplicationView.Value (snapped) by checking if ScreenSize<500
  • Replaced non static ResourceLoader by static ResourceLoader.GetForCurrentView();
  • Replaced DetermineVisualState(ApplicationView.Value) by ApplicationView.GetForCurrentView().Orientation.ToString()
  • Refactoring (floating point comparison)
  • Replaced (new ResourceLoader(Constants.StoreAppsInfrastructureResourceMapId) by
    ResourceLoader.GetForViewIndependentUse(Constants.StoreAppsInfrastructureResourceMapId)
  • MvvmAppBase: Set default language: rootFrame.Language = Windows.Globalization.ApplicationLanguages.Languages[0];
  • Created new Unittest Projects (The old unittest project coudn't be upgraded, VS2013 RC crashes)
    The unit test still have Problems because the Application Viewstates has changed to ApplicationView.GetForCurrentView. I think there are now Problems because the unittest lib doesn't create a CurrentView.
  • Removed the reference implementation
So have a look to the quickstart projects. They should run well.
I'm using this port in my actual Windows store app
I haven't changed any version number or anything else so that this temporary port can be easily exchanged when Blaine has done his Job.

Thanks to Blaine and the P&P Team.

Regards
Judgy

PS: On the roadmap Blaine posted above I've seen the port to WP8 will be done next year in spring.
Puh, long time. I will have to do the port earlier.
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM
OasisLiveForever wrote:
Hi,

I would like to have these features in Prism for Windows 8.1:
  • Default and Narrow page states instead of Full, Snapped etc.
  • RemoveBackStackEntry and RemoveForwardStackEntry in navigation service.
  • Logging management.
  • Extended splash screen management.
  • Global exception management (something like this TEXT).
  • Json.Net instead of DataContractSerializer in session state service in order to:
    • Avoid to register known types for serialization
    • Avoid to mark classes and properties with DataContract and DataMember attributes
    • Have better performances
Thank you very much.
Andrea
Andrea, you provide a good list. We will work on narrow instead of snap. Logging is on the patterns & practices roadmap for later in our fiscal year. I will have internal conversations if there is a way move this earlier. Though I cannot make any promises. Our sustaining engineering team created a sample extended splash screen that we need to look at but have not had time. We will before the release. We will look at the other requests as well.

I'm curious where you want to improve performance.
Oct 3, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Hi,

better performance are related to using Json.Net instead of DataContractSerializer.
Performance are great, I have only a small delay from when I click a button to when the command is executed. This is more evident on my Surface RT.
Coordinator
Oct 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM
We plan to add an extended splash screen management to the library.
Oct 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Thanks, for the first 8.1 drop.
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Prism for Windows 8.1 just released at http://aka.ms/prism-winrt-doc. This page contains a link to the code as well.
Dec 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Thanks @blainew! I know the team worked hard on this and look forward to playing with the new bits during the holiday break... so just in time. Thanks again and great job... now go take a deserved rest šŸ˜Š
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Prism for Windows Runtime now supports Windows Phone 8.1. The source code can be found on this CodePlex site and on http://pnpmvvm.codeplex.com and http://pnppubsub.codeplex.com. For more information see my blog.

Blaine Wastell
http://blogs.msdn.com/blaine
Aug 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Thanks for all the effort to get this new version out to support Universal Apps. I have been looking forward to this release for a while now. Time to go play.
Nov 26, 2014 at 5:30 PM
As I am too.
Dec 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2014 at 7:15 AM
Hi Blaine,

Is there any plans to update documentation to match version 2.0 here: http://aka.ms/prism-winrt-doc ?
As I can see now lots has changed since version 1.1.