What is the best way to get a reaction: starting a discussion or opening an issue?

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM
For about three weeks now I have been using Prism in my project in order to be able to decide whether or not it would be practical to adhere to it's guidance in future projects of our company. During these weeks I have encountered some difficulties and posted here under issues and discussions. And contrary to what I expected, there has not been a single reaction on my posts for two weeks now.
Is this community alive? Someone reading the posts? What reason is there for the silence?

Regards,
Aug 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Hi Peter,

I'm not a member of the PRISM project team, but I'm using PRISM since the first Kona drop.
I can only see that you have problems using PRISM for WinRt with VB.NET.

What other problems do you have?

Dirk
Aug 27, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Hi judgy,

Thanks for your reply. The problems I've encountered are partly solved, although some still exist:
  1. reading data async into the ViewModel is not finished before the View is shown. I know that the async principle can mean that the View gets updates after initially showing up. But several minutes for a local Json file of 60 lines is too long. So I guess something else is wrong here. I have created a "workaround" by storing the property of the ViewModel. But the behaviour of the ViewModel keeps puzzling me.
  2. the statement GetType().TypeInfo seems not to work in VB. That means that the ViewModelLocator has trouble when ViewModels are in other assemblies (as they are in my solution. I had to hardcode paths. Not very elegant...
  3. The treatment of project folders and namespaces is different between C# and VB. Prism seems to rely heavily on the namespace/nameconventions. That also means that I have to add a lot of namespaces, where they seem to be added automatically when adding classes in folders of C#. I think I figured this one out by now, but it has cost me a lot of frustrating search and trial and error. This has no direct relation perhaps wtih Prism, but still.... because the nameconventions are so important it would have been nice if something had been written in the documentation.
That's about it for now. Some other issues have been solved via other forums.

Regards,
Aug 28, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I haven't said anything because I am not a VB person and don't understand the point of converting these libraries to VB! I have only just started using Prism and have not had any of the issues you have presented so can only assume it's the "way" you are using it. I am also not a member of the team here nor do I have any affiliation with them, but do appreciate the efforts so far in this immature framework (WinRT version at least).

I think generally people will only comment when they have something constructive or helpful to say, but since you posed the question, thought I'd answer.
Aug 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Hi Allann,
Thanks for your reaction. First of all: the questions I have asked have nothing to do with converting the library to VB, Our app is written in VB , so that's why my questions are about VB in combination with the library. I can refer to the library even when it has been written in any onther language.

If I follow the three issues I have summarized in the former post, this is why they are questions for me.
  1. The View showing up before the ViewModel finished reading it's data is a general question. The original issue is solved, making use of the intended property attribute to store Viewmodel data. But I keep wondering how it could happen?
  2. The second issue has it's origin in the need to override the functionality to locate viewmodels. Concrete: We have devided our project in separate assemblies like the AW reference app, and so we will have to override some methods. That is where the question originates. GetType.TypeInfo just doesn' t work the way it works in c#.
  3. The last question refers to the way folders and namespaces differ between C# and VB. That is something we will have to deal with in my VB project. The point that I make is simply the fact that we had to find this out for ourselves, after several failing exercises. Then started to realize the working of folders in C#. A folder in VB is not automatically a namespace as well, and it is our impression that it is in c#,
I hope to have clarified the questions enough. And sure: if you have nothing to contribute, don't start the communication. Thanks again for now.

Oh, and by the way, we develop for Windows 8.1 on desktops, not WinRT. Hopefully the "universal" will come to the rescue to port our app to other platforms later on.
Cheers!
Aug 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Peter:
According your first issue have look at the posting I wrote last year in the thread:
https://prismwindowsruntime.codeplex.com/discussions/463370

I don't know if it solves your problem, but sometime it is useful to implement EventToCommand behaviors to initialize or clean up a viewmodel via reacting on the 'loaded' or 'unloaded' event of the form.
Aug 29, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Hi judgy,

Thanks again for this reply and pointing me in the direction of that discussion. I think I have indeed a situation where the View has been loaded faster than the ViewModel was able to fetch it's data. Probalbly because the View in this case is the HubPage, and that will be read from cache on GoBack I presume.
AS I wrote above, I have solved it making use of the <RestorableState> attribute for the items that need to be placed in the HubTiles. It has never given any trouble since then, so I will stick with that solution. I think it's quite elegant as well....
All the best!